Spaghetti with Chilli Oil & Mushroom
- 1 pkt fresh spaghetti or angel hair pasta (thinner than spaghetti)
- 40 mls Cannon hill Chilli Infused Olive Oil
- 4 sliced field mushrooms (your choice), fresh shiitakes are great handful rocket
- 1 Tbsp garlic butter
- salt and pepper to taste
This recipe has been a favourite of mine for many years now. The great thing about this dish is that is easy to put together – has minimal ingredients and allows the flavours of ingredients you use to shine through. This recipe can be dressed up or down but the base ingredients remain the same. The recipe given will see you right, once you get the hang of it the options listed below the recipe can be added to give you half a dozen variations on the base. The one thing you need to be aware of is this dish does rely on good quality ingredients for it to be at it’s best.
To Prepare (Base Recipe)
Heat chilli oil in pan. Add sliced mushrooms, saute. The mushrooms will easily soak up the oil, if the pan becomes too dry add a little vegetable oil and continue to sauté. As the mushrooms brown the oil will start to come out of the mushrooms, this is an indication the mushrooms are close to ready. Once browned nicely and smelling lovely, remove pan from heat. Plunge the pasta into the boiling water (if the pasta is fresh bring back to the boil and cook for two minutes then drain), otherwise cook for 10 – 12 minutes, then drain. Place the pasta into the pan with the mushrooms, slice the rocket thinly and place in pasta. Add garlic butter, season, then gently fold through. The trick here is not to let the butter just sit on top and melt through or be tempted to place the pan back on the heat. You want the butter to stay in its emulsified state and gently melt through, this way the pasta dish comes together tasting creamy and unctuous.
Works well with
Variations on the base.
This is a list of additions that work with this dish:
- Sliced salami - Just before the mushrooms are done add the sliced (julienne) salami and sauté lightly then continue with recipe. Add as much or as little as you like.
- Picked crab or other shellfish or crustacean - Fry lightly in garlic butter till just under cooked, remove from heat add a squeeze of lemon juice then continue with recipe as normal.
- Cannonhill Walnut and Watercress Pesto - Mix 3 tbsp through the pasta. (this one works well with salami)
- Cannonhill Aubergine Relish - Mix 3 tbsp through pasta.
- Semi dried tomatoes - Slice and fold through pasta.
- Smoked salmon or chicken - Slice and fold through pasta.
- Salted cod - Fleck and fold through pasta.