Roast beetroot & chocolate cake
- 225 grms fresh beetroot
- 175 grms dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup espresso
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 brown sugar
- pinc h of salt
- 1 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- vanilla erssence
- squeeze lemon juice
- Lightly butter an 8-inch springform cake pan and line the base with a round of baking parchment. Heat the oven to 180c.
- Roast the beets, whole and unpeeled, till tender. Depending on their size, they will be tender within 30 to 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool, trim then grate.
- Melt the chocolate, broken into small pieces, in a small bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Don’t stir.
- When the chocolate looks almost melted, pour the hot espresso over it and stir in. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the melted chocolate. Stir through till melted.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Separate the eggs, putting the whites in a large mixing bowl. Stir the yolks together.
- Remove chocolate mixture from the heat allow to stand for a few minutes, then stir in the egg yolks. Do this quickly, mixing firmly and evenly so the eggs blend into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Firmly but gently, fold the beaten egg whites and sugar into the chocolate mixture. Lastly, fold the grated beets through the flour and cocoa then fold through the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer quickly to the prepared cake pan and put in the oven, Bake for about 40 minutes. The rim of the cake will feel spongy, the inner part should be firm when gently shaken. Test with a cake tester or toothpick too -- if it is still gooey in the center, continue baking just until moist crumbs cling to the tester.
Set the cake aside to cool. Serve in thick slices, with cream cheese and poppy seed icing.